Preliminary total live weight of all federally inspected poultry during December 2021 was 5.50 billion pounds, down 2% from 5.59 billion pounds a year ago.

January 31, 2022

1 Min Read
chickens - white broilers_FDS_sansubba_iStock_Getty Images-172476350.jpg

Poultry certified wholesome during December 2021 (ready–to–cook weight) totaled 4.17 billion pounds, down 2% from the amount certified in December 2020, according to USDA’s latest Poultry Slaughter report.

The November 2021 revised certified total at 4.17 billion pounds, was up 5% from November 2020. The November revision represented an increase of 3.21 million pounds from last month's preliminary pounds certified.

The preliminary total live weight of all federally inspected poultry during December 2021 was 5.50 billion pounds, down 2% from 5.59 billion pounds a year ago. Young chickens inspected totaled 4.89 billion pounds, down 1% from December 2020. Mature chickens, at 64.0 million pounds, were up 3% from the previous year.

Young chickens slaughtered during December 2021 averaged 6.40 pounds per bird, down slightly from December 2020. The average live weight of mature chickens was 6.73 pounds per bird, up slightly from a year ago.

For young chickens slaughtered during 2021 there were 9.208 billion birds, 0.23% less than the 9.230 billion birds in 2020. Total ready-to-cook weight for young chickens in 2021 was 44.890 billion pounds, 0.69% more than the 44.583 billion pounds in 2020.

December 2020 contained 23 weekdays (including one holiday) and four Saturdays. December 2021 contained 23 weekdays (including one holiday) and four Saturdays.

Subscribe to Our Newsletters
Feedstuffs is the news source for animal agriculture

You May Also Like