Feedstuffs is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Tyson announces global Forest Protection Standard

TAGS: Business
Tyson Foods Tyson Foods blue logo horizontal
Company aims to reduce deforestation risk in its global supply chain.

Tyson Foods Inc. announced Nov. 12 a Forest Protection Standard focused on reducing deforestation risk in its global supply chain of four commodities: (1) cattle and beef, (2) soy, (3) palm oil and (4) pulp, paper and packaging. 

Earlier this year, Tyson partnered with Proforest to conduct a deforestation risk assessment. The assessment concluded that nearly 94% of the company’s land footprint is at no to low risk of being associated with deforestation. To proactively address the remaining 6% that was found to be at risk, the Forest Protection Standard was developed to ensure that Tyson is continuing to target the reduction of deforestation risk throughout the global supply chain.

“As one of the world’s largest food companies and a recognized leader in protein, we have an important role in protecting forests and other natural ecosystems,” Tyson president and chief executive officer Dean Banks said. “We are asserting our ambition to make protein more sustainable and look forward to working with our supply chain partners, customers and other stakeholders to do our part on this important issue.”

To support the Forest Protection Standard, specific commodity action plans are being developed to outline the work required in each commodity area to support deforestation-free sourcing. Progress towards meeting the goals of the Forest Protection Standard will be outlined in Tyson’s annual sustainability report.

Tyson is a member of the U.N. Global Compact and supports the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and 2030 agenda for sustainable development. Tyson's Forest Protection Standard aligns with three SDGs, including Goal 12 for responsible consumption and production, Goal 13 for climate action and Goal 15 for life on land.

Hide comments
account-default-image

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish