Butterball has launched its inaugural corporate social responsibility report, “The Butterball Way,” which showcases how Butterball delivered responsible, sustainable food and agricultural practices in 2018. The first report also outlines goals for continued growth in the years ahead, the company said.
“We’ve seen an increasing demand for greater transparency in sustainable business practices from those who serve, sell and consume Butterball products. Publishing this first public-facing corporate social responsibility report underscores our commitment to responsible food production and agricultural practices,” Butterball president and chief executive officer Jay Jandrain said. “We hold ourselves to a high standard of excellence for how we do business, from our commitment to our people and the care and well-being of our turkeys to our stewardship of the environment and the way we give back to our communities. We know the impact we can have, and we’re proud to share our accomplishments, continued efforts and goals for the future.”
The following are highlights of the company’s 2018 results:
People - Team members’ safety, health and satisfaction are Butterball’s top priority.
- A Butterball Rewards program was introduced that incentivizes points for performance, attendance and other achievements.
- The commitment to developing employees at all levels of the organization continued through Butterball’s Leadership Apprentice Program and Management and Development Program.
- The company invested in more than 6,000 team members’ growth, safety and well-being, achieving the lowest total injury rate in company history.
Plate - Butterball commits to providing high-quality, nutritious and affordable products to consumers, which begins with providing the best possible care for the turkeys.
- Turkey well-being was enhanced through advanced technology, additional training and a continued partnership with American Humane. Butterball remains the only vertically integrated and largest turkey producer to carry the American Humane Certified seal on all Butterball products.
- The company’s biggest brand refresh in history was completed, including new packaging designs, renovated and simplified ingredient statements and new product launches for a more robust all-natural line.
- Installation of on-farm video auditing was completed in select locations to ensure the best care and handling of turkeys.
Planet - As a company grounded in agriculture, Butterball recognizes its responsibility to protect the planet it shares, preserve the natural resources it relies on to produce products and ensure that families and future generations can enjoy a thriving environment.
- Butterball reduced its environmental footprint within production, including a 7.9% reduction in waste per pound of product produced and a 3.4% increase in recycled material from all waste generated.
- New “green” initiatives were adopted throughout the company.
Philanthropy - As a company with a rich history of traditions and a track record of supporting its communities, Butterball knows how important it is to ensure that local communities are thriving.
- Together with Operation BBQ Relief, 1.2 million meals were served during natural disasters to those in need.
- Nearly 1.2 million lb. of food were donated to Feeding America, a national network of food banks that assist those who are food insecure.
- More than $30,000 were contributed in 2018 through the Butterball Traditions of Caring Foundation to provide assistance to people in need where Butterball employees live and work.
Butterball said the new report will serve as a benchmark to continue evolving Butterball in 2019 and beyond as it focuses on strategic priorities of growing innovation, having the right product mix and fostering a culture of continuous improvement.
The company’s 2019 goals include continuing to implement environmental practices that minimize its footprint, enhancing team member development programs, expanding team member training to include diversity and inclusion, developing the team member volunteering program and enhancing enhance the Butterball Rewards program.
Further, Butterball said it will also update its mission statement and the "Butterball Way" report to reflect how the business has changed.
The full report can be found here.