Feedstuffs is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Pork carcasses hanging in cooler marina_karkalicheva/iStock/Thinkstock

Red meat, poultry cold stocks rise

Large pork belly supplies up 61% from December 2018.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s latest “Cold Storage” report showed that beef, pork, chicken and turkey supplies in cold storage on Dec. 31, 2019, totaled 2.22 billion lb., up 1.4% from the same period in 2018.

Total frozen poultry supplies on Dec. 31, 2019, were at 1.20 billion lb., down 1% from the previous month but up 1% from a year ago. Total stocks of chicken were down 2% from the previous month but up 9% from last year. Total pounds of turkey in freezers were up 5% from last month but down 23% from Dec. 31, 2018.

Red meat supplies in freezers totaled 1.10 billion lb., up 1% from the previous month and up 5% from last year. Total beef in freezers was up 1% from the previous month but down 3% from last year. Frozen pork supplies were up 1% from the previous month and up 15% from last year. Stocks of pork bellies continue to be large, up 25% from last month and up 61% from last year.

Total natural cheese stocks in refrigerated warehouses on Dec. 31, 2019, were down 1% from the previous month and down 2% from Dec. 31, 2018. Butter stocks were up 5% from last month and up 6% from a year ago.

Hide comments

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish