Sponsored By

Cold storage stocks remain high

Beef, pork, chicken and turkey supply nearly 7% higher than last year.

Krissa Welshans 1

May 23, 2018

1 Min Read
Cold storage stocks remain high
marina_karkalicheva/iStock/Thinkstock

The U.S. Department of Agriculture released the May “Cold Storage” report this week, revealing that the total chicken, turkey, pork and beef supply in cold storage on April 30, 2018, was approximately 2.5 billion lb., nearly 7% higher than the same period last year.

Total red meat supplies in freezers were at 1.2 billion lb., a 4% increase from the previous month and a 7% increase from last year. Total beef in freezers was 471.5 million lb., up 2% from the previous month and up 3% from the same period last year. Frozen pork supplies totaled 641.4 million lb., up 5% from the previous month and up 9% from last year. Stocks of pork bellies were at 64.6 million lb., up 9% from last month and up 93% from last year.

Total frozen poultry supplies on April 30, 2018, were 1.4 billion lb., a 2% increase from the previous month and a 7% increase from a year ago. Chicken stocks totaled 866.2 million lb., down 1% from the previous month but up 9% from last year. Total turkey supplies in freezers were 493.3 million lb., up 7% from last month and up 5% from April 30, 2017.

Total natural cheese stocks in refrigerated warehouses on April 30, 2018, were up 2% from the previous month and up 3% from April 30, 2017. Butter stocks were up 12% from last month and up 5% from a year ago.

About the Author(s)

Subscribe to Our Newsletters
Feedstuffs is the news source for animal agriculture

You May Also Like