SYNGENTA announced on May 27 a contest for creative ideas that will support one or more of the six measurable commitments of The Good Growth Plan, a program to help sustainably address global food security challenges.
The Good Growth Plan Grant Contest will award one grand prize of $20,000 to help the winner implement the idea. Also, three runners-up will receive $10,000 each for the same purpose.
Syngenta said the Good Growth Plan addresses the overall food security challenge with six measurable objectives to boost resource efficiency, rejuvenate ecosystems and strengthen rural communities.
The six commitments include:
1. Make crops more efficient. Increase the average productivity of the world's major crops by 20%.
2. Rescue more farmland. Improve the fertility of nearly 25 million acres of farmland on the brink of degradation.
3. Help biodiversity flourish. Enhance the biodiversity on more than 12 million acres of farmland.
4. Empower smallholder farmers. Reach 20 million smallholder farmers and enable them to increase productivity by 50%.
5. Help people stay safe. Train 20 million farm workers on labor safety, especially in developing countries.
6. Look after every worker. Strive for fair labor conditions throughout the entire supply chain network.
The contest seeks ideas that can be implemented to support one or more of these commitments.
The deadline for submissions is July 14. For contest details, official rules and to submit an idea, visit www.GoodGrowthPlanGrant.com.