NC State compost barn destroyed by fire

Fire marshall says fire likely caused by hot temperatures.

A compost barn for North Carolina State Univeristy’s poultry science lab, which contained highly flammable litter from the university’s chicken and turkey facilities, caught fire early Monday morning at about 2 a.m., the university’s newspaper reported.

While no animals were harmed and no one was in the building at the time, the barn sustained significant structural damage and will have to be demolished, North Carolina State University fire marshall Bill Stevenson told the paper. The chicken and turkey houses did not sustain any damage.

Stevenson said the fire was likely caused by the litter getting wet in a recent storm and then drying out over a period of several hot days.

Hide comments

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish